It's August and the Aussie winter is almost over. Chances are you've got a couple more cold and dreary Sundays to rug up and cook something cozy. Pour yourself a red and get into our layered Chicken Diavolo Lasagne!
This recipe serves up to 8 people so if you just happen to be on the hill, kickin' it in the lodge, you'll have everyone covered. And if you need some hot tracks to heat up the hill, check out our Spotify playlist:
1. Start by seasoning your chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Fire up a pan, pour in a little of your oil and sear the chicken on all sides and put aside to rest.
3. Turn you pan down to med- low heat and add the rest of the oil to sauté onion, carrot, celery, peppers and garlic for 5 mins.
4. Add the smoked paprika and oregano for another minute and then deglaze pan with red wine and simmer for a minute.
Now add tinned tomatoes, passata, water, Diemen's Original, Basil and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer down for 10 mins and then add the chicken to stew with lid ajar for up to an hour.
5. Meanwhile to make bechamel sauce.
Melt the butter in a frypan over medium low heat. Add the flour and whisk into the butter. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking constantly until smooth. Add the bay leaf with salt and pepper to taste.
Finally pour in the grated Parmesan.
6. For the kale. Boil until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, spread out on clean kitchen towel to cool. Squeeze out all the liquid and chop, season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Back to your chicken Diavolo sauce.
Remove chicken to a cutting board and let cool for 5 mins before shredding each thigh using two forks. Discard chicken skin. Place shredded chicken back in the sauce and mix through.
8. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a large rectangular ovenproof dish with oil to lightly grease. Spread one ladel of the bechamel sauce over the base.
Arrange lasagne sheets over the sauce. Top with 2 ladels of the Diavolo sauce mixture and one ladel of the bechamel sauce and a handful of kale. Continue layering with the remaining lasagne sheets, diavolo mixture, bechamel and kale. finishing with a layer of bechamel. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Place on a baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until cheese melts, is golden brown, and the edges are bubbling. Remove from oven and drizzle with Diemen's Stinger sauce and set aside for 10 minutes to set.